Monday, December 28, 2009

Training Camp Complete


This past weekends training camp was very successful. Elite Sports really knows how to put together a true training camp. I posted 2 wins in the Cyclocross races in Sonora. The courses were the hardest routes I have raced on all year. The first day the race was ran in a area where there were no trails at all. It was pure "Jungle Cross", and the terrain was brutal to try and race through. There were some serious power checks on course and it was nice to be tested to the extreme. After the race it was 2 hours 30 minutes of easy spinning up and down the rolling foothill roads above Sonora at 4000 ft. above sea level. Day two was a very muddy Cross race in the morning. Some sections were so muddy I could barely keep the bike rolling in the deepest parts of the mud bog sections. On all the uphills I felt pretty good and could maintain my speed when others bonked. After the race I drove back to the Bay Area with the other Elite Sports Team cyclists, and we climbed up Mt. Diablo before dark. Mt. Diablo is my favorite climb and it was foggy and cold which made the climb all the more interesting. Usually I do the climb in the summer when the temperature is super hot. But this was December 27 and the weather was cold and misty out and I really enjoyed riding in the winter like conditions. My total time riding at the 2 day Training Camp was 8 hours in the saddle with some of the hardest riding conditions I could imagine. It was a mental check as well as a physical check to put myself through this Elite Sports training camp. In the end I was happy I signed up. Thanks to Elite Sports and Yellow Jersey Promotions for putting this exclusive camp together. It was nice to race & train with some of the best riders in America.