Wednesday, May 26, 2010

New Territory



It is not often I find new climbs and new territory to venture on my bicycle in the County I have trained in for years and years. Basically I have traveled all the roads in this area many times, and searched for the highest hills and steepest grades to train and test myself on. However today was my lucky day, in that I came across a kind gentleman who invited me to ride his secret roads in a place that is literally a Preserve. The area is one of the most well kept spots in all of California, right in the back yard of Monterey County, just next door to the Ventana Wilderness. Beauty abounds with each turn of the head, and your eyes are filled with epic views that wild life knows as their true home. The private roads are beyond category steep and surely the most well manicured pavement possible. Is this a cycling paradise- Yes! The climbing is off the charts, with roads that only a super climber could dream up. The descending is pure, and this is where a human can feel like a diving hawk railing through the wind currents on a joy ride downward. I am positive that this area will build me into a better rider, a better climber, and simply make me stronger. I am thankful to this gentleman who introduced me to this area, and was kind enough to reach out and help me keep my wheels rolling forward.

I did the Robinson Canyon brutal interval session today. It was super windy, and at the half way point of the interval, there was the stiffest head wind I have ever faced up the second part of the climb. My heart rate was very high during this session and my legs really struggled when climbing into the headwind. I liked it so much!

My Garmin Totals for the day-
80 miles
6300 feet climbed
5:30 riding time
Max HR 189