Sunday, May 17, 2009

Cross Country Race

This particular course had some very fun section to ride fast on....
The final podium, a strong group of 35+ Expert racers.....
It was a awesome day for a MTB race.....
The heat took its toll on everyone.....
Luckily many sections of the race were contested under the sweet shade of the local oak trees.....
I led out the group at the start.....

On Saturday I had a XC race, and it was super fun, and a real test of bike and pilot.

The temperature was in the 90's.

The trail I selected for the race was new for my CCCX Series and it was full of challenging sections.

I got in a 3 man break on the first lap, and we established a gap on the rest of the field. But I faded to 5th place half way through the race. Then I managed to fight back and work my way into a battle for 2nd place. It seemed the riders ahead of me struggled in the heat. It came down to the last mile of the race where I lost contact up the final hill with the rider I was contesting 2nd place with.

In the end I dug deep and claimed 3rd place on the day. I race to win, however sometimes just hanging in there during a race and passing people in the later stages of the event is as rewarding as a run away win.

I can feel my form improving, and I know I will have some good rides very soon!~