Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Tuesday Circuit race

DiLuca wins the first stage contested in the hills of Italy. He is one of my picks for a good Giro de Italia, however tomorrow will be a big shake up as the riders face some serious climbing. I still think Levi & Astana will deliver the goods in the end.....
I like to ride the mountains and Italy has some of the best roads in the high hills.....
I always try to improve my climbing, and watching the Pro Tour riders go at each other on the big mountains makes for thrilling action....

It was a small but very fast group tonight at the Circuit Race workout in Ft Ord. There was lots of wind which always makes the group ride interesting. The fast pace whittled the pack down to 5 riders for the final 2 laps. On the last lap, on the steepest hill, with about 1/2 lap to go I did a huge flyer trying to go solo to the finish line. That is about 6 minutes full on, with the strongest guys chasing me and working together to bring me back. I did get a big gap, but after 5 minutes solo they chased me down and it ended in a group sprint.
Needless to say I was a little tapped of energy for the sprint after just sprinting solo for 5 minutes into a head wind trying to be a hero and win the thing alone.
It was a great workout for sure!