Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Tuesday Night Circuit Race


After winning the past 2 editions of the Tuesday Night Circuit Race, I was hoping to pull off 3 in a row. There are many very strong riders who show up, so taking the win is never easy. One team had 8 riders who are all very accomplished cyclists.

The pace was very fast tonight and after 2 laps it was down to 7 guys. I felt really good, and one time while covering a attack up the climb my heart rate went to 202 BPM, but I still felt I was under control. Yet I am the most marked rider after winning the past 2 times out, and this would hurt me in the end.

One team had 4 guys out of the final 7. However when the accelerations would come fast and hard up the hills me and 2 other riders would always gap the other 4. Yet the other riders would chase hard and eventually catch up barely.

On the last lap it whittled down to me and the same 2 riders who appeared to be going the best. But I was marked and the other riders basically shut down the pace and waited for the sprint. I was marked out because each time I tried to get away they just grabbed on to my wheel and drafted- but refused to pull through.

In the end I was out sprinted and had to settle for just a fun day out on the bike going at it with the other local strong men of the Road. It was fun racing, even if I could not pull off 3 wins in a row for the Tuesday Night Circuit Race.