Sunday, May 10, 2009

Weekend Riding~

Saturday I had a very strong finish in a field that was stacked with strong Road riders from Northern California. In this photo I was solo off the front.....
Sunday I spent 2 hours on my Zaskar trying to line up a really fun course for everyone at the CCCX XC race #7 coming up next weekend.....

Saturday it was the Joseph Mendes Criterium in the Bay Area. I felt ready to race and have been feeling good sensations on my Road Bike. The field was stacked again for a Nor-Cal Crit, and all the heavy hitters were in attendance. Over 85 starters on the line.

The race was very fast paced and there was much action off the front. In the end I worked hard to get a solid finish. The competition was very strong and making a good result was not easy. I battled aggressive when it mattered most and on the line I was 5th place!

This was a very good result for me, as the 4 riders who were ahead of me are all legends of the Road Race scene here in Northern California. I was very pleased to be on the podium with 4 of the best Road Racers in this region. The pace was very fast, it was a hard race, and my confidence is growing to ride even better. I know I can improve!!

I did Mt Diablo as a cool down Saturday afternoon. That mountain is awesome, the views while riding are amazing. Even if I was super tired pedaling up the hill and rode at a snails pace, it was extra special riding back down! All in all I rode for 5 hours 30 minutes and 75 miles total, a good Saturday in the saddle.

Sunday I spent some time with my Mom and tried to make it a happy Mothers day for her~

Then I did a 2 hour MTB ride looking over the next course lay out I will put together for CCCX XC#7. The course I am working on is really fun to ride, but there is an amazing amount of work to be done on the trails and the staging area. This time of year the grass and weeds in that area have grown to chest height and I must now spend 2 days at least of non stop weed clearing to make it ready for my event. This type of work people do not see, they just show up for the race and things are ready to go. Most people do not understand the difficulties of keeping trails well maintained. Just the open space parking area will take hours and hours to chop down the chest high grass that grows so tall this time of the year. It is going to be a busy week ahead for sure.