Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Creating A New Trail


Today I worked all day at creating a new DH trail for my CCCX DH race coming up this Sunday. I have been planning this new trail and working on this new trail for a long time. It is very close to completion.
I have been working on a trail that ventures down a steep canyon and pops out in the upper parts of the finish/parking area of my staging at Toro Park. The new trail has been formed from absolute scratch. The area I have put the trail was inaccessible to even hikers as the area was so full of brush and dense tree and grass growth. I had to crawl on my hands and knees to just begin to plan on the trail route and decide on the exact direction of the trail in the beginning because the foliage growth was so extreme.
It is also placed on the edge of a steep hill side. Some of the sections were 100% blocked by years and years of growth and erosion situations on the terrain. But I dug deep into the hill side, and cut bush for hours and hours, and did selected pruning on the tree limbs in the way. Now it is shaping up to be a legendary trail that is like a non stop roller coaster of single track. It is hard work for sure, and to get it just right has taken lots of creativity and trail building knowledge.

But in the end it will be worth the time and effort. Riding the new route will be super fun, and racing it full gas will be rad!