Sunday, June 21, 2009

Racing Lance Armstrong

If you click on the photo you can see me just getting dropped by Armstrong and the winning break-away. Armstrong was seriously driving the pace, and I am the 4th rider in the photo in the background wearing my road team kit and white helmet. I was digging as deep as possible to stay with Armstrong and the lead trio, but I was dropped right there at the top of the climb.....
Lance Armstrong showed up for the Nevada City Classic today. This is one of Northern California's most popular and most difficult races, and Armstrong was using it to continue his preparation for the Tour de France. I can tell you from first hand experience Armstrong is looking really lean and super fit. He looks in much better form then earlier this year. I was able to warm up a little with him and Levi and Chris Horner and Armstrong's pedaling style is fantastic. Then in the race he dropped some bombs on the field and was in a breakaway with his team mate Levi and Ben Jacques-Mayne who is a friend of mine. They basically lapped the field. Armstrong went solo with 5 laps to go and really thrilled the crowd with his ride. They said there were about 20,000 spectators on the 1.1 mile circuit, it was standing room only. I have a feeling Armstrong is going to play a strong role in the upcoming race around France- a very strong role. Time will tell...........