Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Trail Work

Sure my new trail is tricky in some sections, but that is what DH riders want.....
If you don't control your speed it might be time to get dirty and dusty....
A few riders found themselves down the ravine in deep bush, now they know how I felt just trying to cut the trail in the first place....

The new trail I built at Toro Park for the DH races has demanded much more of my time after the 1st time it was used for an event. The riders really enjoyed the challenges I created in the new trail. Yet it became super blown out after the practice session & race. Now I am having to re-build and repair many of the sections, it is as if I am starting from scratch.

I do remember how difficult it was to create the new route in the first place, so doing hours of patch work and repair is not too bad. The first build and cut of the new trail was really quite brutal. There was absolutely nothing there and I basically created the new trail from a vision I came up with utilising the canyon and its surrounding features. There was a tremendous amount of brush cutting and hillside shaping to even begin to create a trail. Now the route is punched through and there has been one race held so the trail work is much more accessible and fun.