Wednesday, August 19, 2009

On Top Of The Mountain

Here is where I started my ride, and almost 2 hours later I was at the very summit of this beautiful mountain. It is a long ride to the very top, but well worth the time and effort....
At the very top I encountered the giant Tarantula. It is our biggest spider and is large enough to be able to feed on lizards, mice, and birds. These giant spiders can live for years, with some taking over 10 years to reach full maturity. The oldest Tarantula on record was 49 years of old....

Sunday, after the Criterium race I did a MTB ride on the Zaskar to the very top of Mt Diablo as a sort of cool down ride. Mt Diablo is our biggest mountain in this area, and it took me about 1 hour 45 minutes to reach the summit on my Zaskar. At the very top It was nice to see the amazing panoramic view of the entire Bay Area.

It was also nice to witness the largest spider in our area, the giant Tarantula!!

The giant Tarantula only dwells high on the upper slopes of Mt Diablo, usually above the 3000 ft. mark.

I like to ride Mt Diablo to climb and climb and climb, because the hill is so long to summit. But most of all I like the ride back down the mountain, because I love descending. And I like seeing the great wild life that live high above the human filled valley's.