Monday, August 17, 2009

Suisun Criterium


My team mate was working to set me up with 2 laps to go, but I gave him a gap and he had the amazing strength to go solo for the win, while the rest of the field stayed behind me hesitating to chase.....
The speed is always fast at the Suisun Criterium, I have been frustrated by never making the top 10 in this race. This year I made the top 10!....

This past Sunday was the Suisun Criterium held near San Francisco. This is a fast paced Crit. on a short circuit, which makes the racing action go off at a very high speed. I have never made top 10 in this race, and was hoping to get in the top 10 this year to claim more BAR ranking points, as BAR points only go to the top 10 finishers.

It was lined out for most of the race. I did not feel great but did the best I could to hang in there. In the end I got right on the front with 3 laps to go. My team mate was working to set me up, but I eased up while he was driving the field and suddenly he had a gap solo. The entire field was behind me, and my team mate is rolling solo off the front by himself with 1 and 3/4 laps to go.

It was amazing to watch, my team mate went solo the rest of the way, and barely held it to the line claiming the win! It was sweet to watch my team mate win and good for him! It was a amazing ride!

I had my hands full with 60 other racers all fighting me for placing. The final 2 corners were very hectic. I was swamped by some crazy passing in the final corners, but then was able to pass back a few of them. It was sort of a inside out-outside in situation. In the end I was 7th place. I was pleased with this finish because my goal was to somehow get in the top 10 and claim a few BAR points. The field was stacked with talent and for my Road Race team to get 2 riders in the top 10 and the win was stellar for the team. I am sure we were the only team with 2 in the top 10.