Sunday, April 5, 2009

CCCX Series- Monterey 4/04/09

Having too much fun ripping the downhill sections....
Me & the ZASKAR were tested by a very fast course....
Top 5 Experts....

Bloody knee and elbow, covered in dust, but still pedaling....
Single track trails were the order of the day....
I decided to lead out the group and get the hole shot at the start.....
It was a picture perfect day for a cross country race this past Saturday in Monterey. I felt much more comfortable on the GT ZASKAR, and after some testing during the week I seem to have my seat height near proper position. During the race I was on the lead early and my legs felt much better then the initial race on my new ride.

The GT ZASKAR is one tough bike~!!

I had two hard crashes as I was chasing the leader, both times sliding out after losing my front end on a high speed off camber hard packed turn. I ended up with a road rash on my knee and elbow & covered in dust.... but the GT ZASKAR came out of the slide outs with out a scratch!! The bike is super tough and I was expecting at least a few marks on the brand new ride, but the bike still looks absolutely perfect.

In the end I faded to 5th place in the race. The crashes came at very inopportune times and certainly set me back. It seemed that without the crashes I would have contested for the win.

On a good note, I felt really good on the climbs and my legs were turning over well and I felt much more comfortable on the team bike. My position seems to be just about right, now if I could just keep from crashing I might have a chance at the result I desire!!