Thursday, April 9, 2009

So Much To Do, So Little Time~


Wednesday I was involved in organizing the first open track twilight program for cyclists at Laguna Seca Raceway. It was a perfect day for this event as there was beautiful blue sky, and the moon even made a appearance with a early moon rise as the sun was setting. The riding took place between 5:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
With the Sea Otter Classic just a week away now, for the second half of the cycling program I wanted to do a full on practice race on the Criterium course I recommended for the new Crit. race they will have at this years Sea Otter.

The turn out was great for the first twilight cycling session. We had 85 riders and I made sure to place my GT DIRT COALITION tent at registration, so everyone had a look at the cool DIRT COALITION easy up team tent.

The practice race went really well, and the course is pretty fun to race on. The turns are very tight, so during the actual Crit. next week position will be key for success. The pavement is extra plush on track, so railing the turns was awesome. The feeling of the tires griping the track was quite the sensation when turning at full speed.

The practice race was 40 minutes- winner take all. I tried a solo breakaway with five laps to go but was reeled in by the group. Then on the last lap I had to chase down a local rider who made a bid for the win. I had 200 meters to go and it looked like the rider was going to get to the finish before me. But I pulled him back after a brutally hard sprint with only about 20 yards before the finish line. As I passed the rider and came to the finish line it looked for sure as if I was going to be the winner. However right on the line, my local road race team mate snuck his front wheel over the line ahead of me with a bike throw~ and relegated me to second place by a mere 4 inches!

I was a little bummed after doing all the chasing of the break away guy, to be out done right on the line by my buddy. But at least our local CCCX road team claimed first & second on the day. I organized a sweet Mazda Raceway racing jacket for the winner of the Crit., and I was so close to getting the apparel but was denied by a team mate. In the end the raceway staff presented me my very own Mazda Raceway jacket for all of my effort in organizing the open track day for everyone!! That was awfully kind of them!

It seemed all the riders had fun! This is what I wanted most of all.......... for everyone to enjoy the time on the world famous race track riding their bicycles!