Friday, April 24, 2009

Turning The Pedals Over.....

I am just trying to find some form and get the pedals turning over smoothly now that the Sea Otter Classic is done for 2009. Now I can focus on getting in a groove on my Zaskar.....

I am trying to get the legs and body going after the Sea Otter Classic. I am usually pretty tired and drained of energy after this event. For the event I have lots to do physically, and I have so much on my mind, that at the end of the affair I am pretty much at the low end of my racing form.

However I did win the practice Circuit race we have each Tuesday night here in Monterey two days ago. I was able to hold with the leaders, then attacked at the end, and won in a two up sprint with one of the better road riders from this area. I was in a lot of pain after the hard effort to drop everyone. But it was nice to get my first win of the year in the Tuesday night practice race at Ft Ord.

Then on Thursday I drove up to the best climb in Northern California- Mt Diablo. They have a group ride Thursday nights that is basically a race half way up the mountain. The group was very small, but still the mountain is hard to tackle at full speed. I posted a 27:45 for the hill climb and was first to the top out of the small group. The best climbers were not there or I surely would not have been first to the top. My legs felt sluggish and I felt a little off in my pedaling. Yet I was happy with my 27:45. I was just hoping to break 30 minutes, so for the first race up Mt Diablo for me a 27:45 was not too bad.