Monday, April 6, 2009

Working Over The Sea Otter Dual Slalom

I forced myself to spin the legs for 30 minutes today at lunch in between digging berms from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. basically non stop.....
This is the result of getting big blisters on my hands from working a shovel hard for hour after hour building epic sized berms. The best riders in the world simply tearing up my course in front of the media and spectators. I take pride in building parallel courses that when photographed properly produce outstanding photos......
One of my favorite shots of my slalom course. A friend, World Champion Gunn Rite Dahle, going solo off the front on her way to the Sea Otter Classic Short track win in brutal muddy conditions. My slalom is a very cool back drop and the shape of my berms and jumps really look sweet behind the World Champion Gunn Rite. The green grass and blue sky make the photo complete. It is hard to tell from this photo how brutal the short track race was that year with thick mud making for quite a battle on course for the world class pro fields....

I spent 9 hours today working on the Sea Otter Classic Dual Slalom. I went through 3 different sets of helpers. Each time my volunteers would help for a couple hours of digging and building jumps and berms, then get tired and quit. It is hard work so I can not blame them, and most of my helpers are young guys who think building jumps are fun, but I work them hard and after a few hours they are toasted. Thankfully I had 3 different groups come out to the course today and spend a few hours working the course over. I focused on the rhythm section after the third set of giant berms. I extended this section and added a extra berm leading to the road gap jump.

I think this years course is going to be extra special.

My deadline is coming very soon with the project and the Sea Otter Classic is starting to take control of the Laguna Seca Raceway this week.

I am exhausted from the hard labor!! Yet when I see the best riders in the world styling down the slalom and show-boating their skills as if they were kids in a candy store, it makes all my hard work worthwhile!!!